Day 22: Tell us a bit about where you live.
I currently live in Fairborn, Ohio. According to census information, it is a city of nearly thirty three thousand people. It is located in Greene County, Ohio, near Dayton and also near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base.
Fairborn has only been in existence since 1950, when the town of Osborn which was moved out of a flood plain in 1921(homes were put on flatbed trucks and moved) merged with Fairfield, due to the construction of Huffman Dam.
On the outskirts of Fairborn is Huffman Prairie Flying Field, which is where the Wright Brothers experimented with their plane and taught themselves to fly. It is now part of the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park.
Another claim to fame for Fairborn is The Fairborn Agreement, a peace accord between the parties to the hostilities in the conflict in Bosnia-Herzegovina and the former Yugoslavia. The agreement was negotiatedat Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, where negotiations took place from November 1, 1995 to November 21, 1995.
Some notable people originally from Fairborn:
- Brian Billick, head coach of the Baltimore Ravens, 1999-2007
- Roger B. Chaffee, astronaut who died in the Apollo 1 fire
- Kevin DeWine, former member of the Ohio House of Representatives, as well as former chairman of the Ohio Republican Party.
- Gus Grissom, astronaut who died in the Apollo 1 fire
- Col. Gregory Johnson, NASA astronaut
- Billy Mason, drummer with Tim McGraw's tour band.