Monday, June 2, 2014

To Discuss Or Not Discuss, That Is The Question

“It’s never a good idea to discuss religion or politics with people you don’t really know.” Agree or disagree?

I disagree with this statement. Discussing these topics with people you don't really know can be a good thing. I often write here about my views on both politics and religion, and those posts will sometimes lead to spirited discussions with my readers, most of whom I have never met and probably never will. The same is true on Facebook, both on my personal page and on the various parenting pages I visit. I find it interesting to see what others believe, and to share any facts I might have which disprove/disagree with their beliefs. As long as both sides can keep it civil and not resort to anger, it is a fascinating discussion for me.

I understand that some people agree with this statement, however. And if you are one of those folks, I respect your right to skip over any posts I may write in the future about politics or religion. They tend to be few and far between, however, so I hope you won't leave the blog entirely.


1 comment:

  1. I would say generally, avoid talking about issues like religion and politics if you don't think there's a way to do it civilly. Just because we don't share the same beliefs doesn't mean we should treat each other horribly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...