Saturday, May 10, 2014

Embarrassing Moment

Day 10 photo embarrassed_zps5c5522b2.jpg

Describe your most embarrassing moment.

I can still vividly recall the details of my most embarrassing moment. I was in junior high, and my small group of friends and I had developed a routine of "dressing up" one day a week. This particular week, the day we had chosen was cold, and there was still snow and ice everywhere.

We waited on each other in front of the main building of the school, then walked down the block to the building which housed the band room, to drop off our instruments. Then we decided to take the fire escape down, as it was closer to the junior high building than going back out the front door again.

The fire escape goes across the top of the lower level of the building, and then down to the ground. I was the first one out the door, and saw that the area across the roof seemed to be ice free, so I was walking rather quickly, anxious to be out of the cold as soon as possible.

Unfortunately, the steps of the fire escape were not ice free, and that's where things began to go wrong. Two or three stairs down, I slid, lost my footing, and began to slide down the remaining stairs. I closed my eyes and waited to feel my head slam into the concrete. Instead, I felt arms wrap around my waist.

Tentatively I opened my eyes, and looked up into the eyes of my current crush--our band director. At that point, I felt as though it might have been better if I HAD fallen all the way down and hit my head!  He asked me if I were all right, and when I shook my head yes, he offered me his hand and helped me to stand. Then he told my friends to take me inside and make sure I was actually unhurt.

Forty years later, and I still shudder when I remember it! :)


1 comment:

  1. Yep, I'll bet you were waiting for the ground to open up and swallow you whole! There's nothing like falling in front of your crush. I'm glad that you didn't hit your head though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...