Monday, May 19, 2014

Becoming A Parent

DAY 19 photo fab-ni-0337-sm_zpsdd42bcb7.jpg
How did you feel the moment you became a parent?

To be perfectly honest, the moment I became a parent, I felt fear---a deep, despairing kind of fear. Brian was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck three times, and even though they cut it loose the minute his neck cleared the birth canal, he was a very deep purple color when they lifted him up and carried him over to the side of the room. I lay there on the table, squeezing his father's hand, praying that we would hear him make a noise, blaming myself for the situation (I had tripped and fallen right on my stomach a few days prior, and was sure that was what caused it), and trying really hard not to cry. After what seemed forever, but was really less than a minute, we heard the loudest, most beautiful wail from our son, and we both started to cry tears of relief and happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...