Thursday, April 17, 2014

O Is For Ophidiophobic




Ophidiophobic: Afraid of snakes.

I have been afraid of snakes since I was five years old.  While we were on vacation in Florida, my parents took me to the zoo in Miami, including the Reptile House. That night, in our hotel, I had nightmares about snakes, and woke up screaming. A few months later, we came home from some outing to discover what, at the time, seemed to me a HUGE black snake, curled up on our front porch. I refused to get out of the car until my father got it off the porch and out of our yard.

My most up close and personal experience with snakes came when I was eight years old. It was summer, and I was walking through a tobacco field with one of my cousins. Her father, my Uncle Bill, came up beside us with a hoe and, before we knew what was happening, he had cut the head off a copperhead that was mere inches from my leg.

Since that time, I've had a completely irrational fear of any and all snakes. I can't even stand to see them on television (which means I cringe several times an episode while watching Survivor!).  I decided to tempt fate by watching Snakes On A Plane with the rest of the family a few years ago....and wound up hallucinating snakes on our living room floor by the time it was over!

I've had other irrational fears in my life, but this is the only one that has been around this long--I have a feeling I'm going to be dealing with it for the rest of my life.

4 comments:

  1. I have the same fear of snakes. When I was a young girl, the boy next door was into snakes, reptiles. He used to chase me with them. It was probably his 8 year old boy way of letting me know he liked me. Our township has a gorgeous natural walking trail. I loved getting my exercise on it. That is until I saw a snake. Now I won’t go back. BTW, I turn my head on Survivor also :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father used to say there are only 4 kinds of snakes he doesn't like:big snakes, little snakes, live snakes, and dead snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes...what a good and bad Letter 'O' word. Although not a phobia, I do fear snakes, and just last night commented...."I wish they'd leave the snake shots out of Survivor"...yep, I'm a fan of Survivor, but not the snakes. Having been out of town and getting behind, I'm catching up with posting and visiting...hope you can stop by.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yikes- I'd be scared of snakes too what with your early expericnces. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...