Saturday, April 5, 2014

E Is For Emotional




The quote I posted above is something that I've always had to be conscious about in my life. Even as a child, I was considered "overly sensitive," and got my feelings hurt very easily. It didn't, and still doesn't, take much to make me dissolve into tears. Get angry with me, be disappointed in me, accuse me of something I didn't do....I'll cry like a baby.

And don't even get me started on tears that come from music, books, and  movies. Happy tears, sad tears, it doesn't matter. Hallmark commercials?  They get to me EVERY time!!

Overly emotional/highly sensitive people tend to share some common characteristics.  The ones which apply to me the most are:

  • Shy, introverted and socially inhibited.
  • Acutely aware of other people's emotions.
  • Learn early in life to mask their sensitivity, intuition and creativity
  • Protect themselves by being alone too much
  • Relationships can be difficult.
  • Childhood wounds have a lasting, often devastating effect.
  • Great capacity for inner searching.

7 comments:

  1. I am guilty as charged. :O) My husband sent me a link to Kristin Bell singing a song from the movie Frozen and I got misty-eyed at that.

    LuAnn Braley
    AJ's Hooligans @AtoZChallenge
    Back Porchervations

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually pretend everything is OK and then shut myself away and brood on the hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe women, by nature are more sensitive, we are the nurturing care givers; I think the world needs sensitive nurturing women that can show a wide range of emotions. Society teaches us to not to be emotional and so, because of that some don’t understand how to show proper emotion, and then it comes out in destructive ways. I say embrace your emotions and show the world what, anger looks, what forgiveness looks like, and especially what happiness looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great if we know who we are and let ourselves be that.
    Don't you hate it when you are labeled as "over emotional" or "oversensitive"? I do.
    Thanks for the honest post.
    Experts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that quote! And that entire list sounds like me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very astute and fortunate to know yourself so well. Excellent post on not just the word Emotion, but the many facets of understanding and coping. Well done for the Letter E. Thanks for your visits this first week of AtoZ. I appreciate your comments and have enjoyed your blog very much.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great quote! I tend to be overly emotional sometime, so I like the idea of that quote.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...