The quote I posted above is something that I've always had to be conscious about in my life. Even as a child, I was considered "overly sensitive," and got my feelings hurt very easily. It didn't, and still doesn't, take much to make me dissolve into tears. Get angry with me, be disappointed in me, accuse me of something I didn't do....I'll cry like a baby.
And don't even get me started on tears that come from music, books, and movies. Happy tears, sad tears, it doesn't matter. Hallmark commercials? They get to me EVERY time!!
Overly emotional/highly sensitive people tend to share some common characteristics. The ones which apply to me the most are:
- Shy, introverted and socially inhibited.
- Acutely aware of other people's emotions.
- Learn early in life to mask their sensitivity, intuition and creativity
- Protect themselves by being alone too much
- Relationships can be difficult.
- Childhood wounds have a lasting, often devastating effect.
- Great capacity for inner searching.