Saturday, March 22, 2014
Saturday 9: Copacabana
Anyone who knows me very well at all knows that I have been the biggest, geekiest fan girl of Barry Manilow since he first hit the airwaves in the 70s.....so how could I pass up today's Saturday 9? :)
Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.
And SHAME on you if you haven't ever heard it! LOL
1) This song refers to the merengue and the cha-cha. Are you a good dancer?
As long as I'm not dancing in public, I can pretend to be a GREAT dancer.
2) Dances like the merengue and cha-cha are featured on Dancing with the Stars. Are you a loyal DWTS viewer?
Nope....watched a few seasons and got bored with it.
3) The Copa girl in the song, Lola, wears yellow feathers in her hair and a dress cut down to there. If we were going to the clubs tonight, what would you wear?
Black slacks and my multicolored sparkly short sleeve top.
4) The real Copacabana nightclub was on East 60th Street in New York. It was used as a setting for the movie Goodfellas. Do you have a favorite mobster movie?
Bonnie and Clyde
5) Our featured artist, Barry Manilow, has unfortunately spent a great deal of this young century in the hospital -- broken nose, face lift, chest pains and two hip surgeries. Tell us about your most recent trip to the doctor, ER, or dentist.
My most recent trip to the doctor was a follow up with my radiation oncologist to make sure I was healing from the treatments....everything is going well, thankfully.
6) Manilow told US Magazine that he enjoys nude sunbathing. Have you ever skinny dipped or sunbathed au naturel?
Topless at the pool in Germany is as close as I've ever gotten, or will ever get.
7) Before he became famous as a performer, Manilow was a very successful jingle writer. "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there …" and "You deserve a break today at McDonald's …" were his. Tell us about a TV commercial you saw recently.
I'm a fan of Geico commercials with either the Gecko or Max, and M&M commercials. The recent commercial that combines the two (the Gecko and Miss Brown) is a HUGE favorite.
8) The Manilow faithful are known as Fanilows and proudly wear Barry hoodies, wristwatches and even dog tags. Do you have any clothes that feature a recording artist?
I have a bunch of t-shirts: Manilow, 2 Neil Diamond, Willie Nelson, Bob Dylan, Martina McBride, Beach Boys, 2 Jimmy Buffett. Used to have a Koala Barry, but he got lost somewhere along the way. :(
9) In 2005, Manilow refused to respond when Larry King inquired about his sexuality. Do you think it's rude for interviewers to ask personal questions? Or is it something a performer should expect because it goes with the job?
I've often wondered about Mr. M myself, but I do think it's rude....it has nothing to do with his career, and a person's private life should stay private as much as possible.