Friday, March 7, 2014

I Could Just SCREAM!!!!

Finish the Sentence Friday


What I really want to scream out loud is...

WARNING: This post may offend some readers.


What I really want to scream out loud is "Get over it!" There are several things which make me feel that way, but what I'm going to concentrate on today is the whole idea that God and prayer have been taken out of schools, and Christ is being taken out of Christmas. 


Just because there can not be teacher led prayers in school, and just because schools try to stay religion neutral, doesn't mean that a child can't say a silent prayer over their lunch, or in their classroom. As long as they aren't trying to force others to join them, or making it into a major production, no one else is even going to notice. As far as I'm concerned, prayer should always be a private conversation you're having with God, not something to draw attention to yourself.


And the whole Christmas uproar has totally gotten out of hand, in my opinion. It started with the Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays debate. There is more than one holiday celebrated in December, so if people who work with the public want to say Happy Holidays to include anyone and everyone who may be celebrating, there's nothing wrong with that. If you celebrate Christmas, feel free to respond with "Merry Christmas"....if you celebrate Hanukkah, say "Happy Hanukkah"....if you celebrate Yule, say "Blessed Yule"....if you celebrate something else, use whatever greeting is appropriate for you. 


Other people may use the terms "holiday tree," "holiday card," "holiday song,"  "holiday party, " and wish us "Happy Holidays." That is their prerogative. For those of us who are Christians, and who celebrate this season as the birth of our Lord, there will continue to be Christmas trees, Christmas cards, Christmas songs, and we can continue to wish people "Merry Christmas." We can also continue to have Nativity scenes displayed in our homes and yards. No one can take that away from us without our consent. At the same time, we can't take away the rights of others to celebrate the season in a way that is meaningful to them.

This past year I even read some people on Facebook complaining that non-Christians shouldn't be "allowed" to celebrate Christmas as it takes away from the true meaning. I'm sorry, but if the way other people are celebrating a holiday takes away from YOUR celebration and what it means to you, then perhaps THEY aren't the one with the problem. Christmas,for me, is about love and giving to others with no thought of getting something in return. So show some love to those who celebrate differently from you....give them the gift of acceptance. 

Our country was founded to provide religious freedom for all its citizens. That means we should be welcoming to those of beliefs which differ from ours, not resentful of them or accusing them of trying to stop us from having our beliefs.

My major point in all these situations is simple....for those of us who believe in God, and believe that He is everywhere, isn't it a bit ridiculous to presume that human beings can keep Him out of schools or anywhere else? And isn't it even MORE ridiculous to presume that those same human beings can keep Him out of a day when we celebrate His birth? As long as we don't forget Him, He'll be with us every minute of every day.



14 comments:

  1. I totally agree! Take care of your own beliefs in the way that is best for you and your family and allow others the same rights. A sales clerk saying the generic "happy holidays" to be inclusive of everyone doesn't change your beliefs one little bit so why get so riled up. The whole point of taking prayer out of the schools is so that the school isn't forcing one belief system on all students. There is nothing wrong with any individual student taking a moment to say a quiet prayer. Prayer is a private communication anyway.

    This is my first FTSF and I'm enjoying finding new blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post - especially your closing line. Can't remember if it was last year or the year before that a small community was up in arms about the local firehouse having the nativity scene as part of the annual Christmas decorations. The final outcome is that it was removed to keep the peace and they won't be putting it up again. That's kind of sad. I guess next it will be written into Home Owner's Association contracts what you can and can't do. But like you said, "Get over it." Great post ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love it when my Persian hair stylish wishes me a "Merry Christmas!" Why would she not? Yes, your last sentence is perfect. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that schools were keeping kids from even saying a private prayer like the one you described. I thought it was just like the teacher leading prayer or something like you explained. I'm not surprised though. Like you said, it seems like they are pushing away religion but then we have to have other's beliefs about other things like homosexuality and sex pushed on children as small as Kindergarten. There has been so many things circulating the internet about the changes in Common Core. My kids will be homeschooled so I haven't really noticed much. I did hear on the news though about Kindgergarteners having to learn about sexual orientation and sexual education in public schools soon in some states. My point is, the agenda seems to be obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. The God I believe in is not surprised or thwarted by anything. It is sad how we all have become so divisive on the issue of worship. But yay for you and speaking what was on your heart. I applaud all to speak their mind -- especially if it is done respecting that others might feel differently. We have to say what we feel or EXPLODE. ;) smiley face to soften word explode in all caps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about prayer being a private affair. As for Christmas, whether it's 'Happy Holidays' or 'Merry Christmas', what matters is the festive spirit. No one should ruin it by complaining and pointing fingers at others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post! Paul said as long as Christ is preached, it doesn't matter who is doing the preaching. We don't need to create drama. There is enough of that in our world today. We need to be a breath of fresh air to a hurting world, not add hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you! Well said- get over it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with you too! And I love this line: "if the way other people are celebrating a holiday takes away from YOUR celebration and what it means to you, then perhaps THEY aren't the one with the problem" so true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A huge (secular) AMEN!! to this! I wholeheartedly agree - there is no war on Christmas. We are a nation founded not on Christianity, but religious freedom (and the Christianity of our founding fathers would be virtually unrecognizable those who fear this so-called "war"). I celebrate Christmas, but I am not Christian. I tell people Merry Christmas. To me, it is a holiday about love, family, and renewal. And technically, happy holidays means "happy holy-days," so no need to get your undies in a bunch about that one! As for prayer in schools, that one to me is just so obvious. Public schools, with taxpayer money, cannot endorse religion, or allow children to be singled out for choosing to not participate in a prayer. This has been settled over and over in the Supreme Court. Like you said, get over it! We've been there, done that, bought the t-shirt on this issue! Great post! Keep preaching :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot believe that people take offense to non-Christians "celebrating" Christmas. I don't celebrate, but I respect the beliefs and traditions of the vast majority of Americans who do. If my saying "Merry Christmas" makes the holiday less meaningful to them, then they need to examine their own faith. Great post1

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with you, Teresa. No one can prevent me from celebrating my faith and I do it every day, just a moment at a time, but I don't throw it in people's faces.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well said! As an atheist, I'm often confounded by others to demand that prayer be forbidden from schools and that sort of thing. I can understand not having a global prayer session in school, but to try to stop groups of kids from getting together before/between/after class to do it is crazy to me. How does that affect you? Similarly with the 10 commandments being posted - if you don't want to read it, don't - it's as simple as that. The most recent was something I heard on the news just last night. An atheist has apparently brought a lawsuit over a 17-foot cross that was unearthed in the 9/11 ground zero dig. It was a section of cross beams and, at the time, provided comfort and a place for many people to pray, lay flowers, etc. If it was an actual part of the goings on at the time, I don't understand how even an atheist can have a problem with it being a part of a museum display. It's not something being created after the fact. People have waaaay too much time on their hands. And yes, I do wish people a Merry Christmas if I know they celebrate Christmas. Some people just can't get through their day without something to complain about I'm afraid. [#FTSF]

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE your post, I celebrate my faith my way and I encourage others to celebrate their faith thier way. Well written and truly understood and no need to apologize. It's your blog and your opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...