Friday, March 28, 2014

Concert Memories (#FTSF)

Finish the Sentence Friday

I went to a concert.....

Actually I've been to a LOT of concerts.  When I was in elementary and high school, I spent six nights in August at our county fair, where I was privileged to hear a LOT of country artists over the years--Sonny James, Tom T. Hall, Waylon Jennings (when he had short hair and wore a suit and tie on stage), George Jones, Tammy Wynette, Loretta Lynn, Mickey Gilley, Bill Anderson, Jim Ed Brown, Barbara Mandrell, The Oak Ridge Boys, The Statler Brothers, Johnny Rodriguez, Reba McIntire, Sawyer Brown....and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.  

I was a senior in high school, in late 1978, when I went to my first real concert event, other than those at the fair.  Several couples went to see Steve Martin for an evening of comedy and music. It was great fun, but it was also one of the last dates I went on with that particular date.

Two years later,in early 1981, I went to my first Barry Manilow concert, with my college boyfriend. At that point, I didn't think concert going could get any better. Even though we had cheap "nosebleed" seats, we had a great view, and the show was amazing.

While I was married to my second husband, I went to a lot of concerts. He was the keyboardist/lead singer for a band called Stillwater, and I went to hear them perform as often as possible.

I went to two major concerts while married to him as well. I won a pair of tickets to a Boston concert from the local radio station, and he surprised me with tickets to my second Barry Manilow concert---and rented a limo for the evening as well. I felt a little touch of celebrity that entire evening.

With my current husband, Barry, I've become a pretty regular concert-goer once again. We've seen Joan Baez, The Beach Boys, McGuffey Lane, Parrots of the Caribbean (a Jimmy Buffett tribute band), Gordon Lightfoot, Kris Kristofferson, Willie Nelson, Martina McBride, and Neil Diamond....and in May of this year, we're seeing Celtic Woman.

So, that's the story of my concert going to this point....hopefully I'll get to add more in the future.

11 comments:

  1. I haven't been to a concert for years, Teresa. You have seen some incredible artists. I'm inspired to get out there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you DO get out there...although ticket prices are getting crazy these days at a lot of venues.

      Delete
  2. Love how many you have been to so far and truly do hope you can get to some more concerts soon now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine...I'm just excited for May and seeing Celtic Woman. Barry and I both love them, so it should be a great time for both of us.

      Delete
  3. Wow!! You really have been to a lot of concerts!! Good for you!

    I've heard Barry Manilow puts on a good show, so lucky you to have seen him twice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really does....and even though he was sick the second time I saw him, it was still a very high energy night, which just made me love him even more.

      Delete
  4. You make me want to go to a concert this summer! I haven't been in a few years but really do enjoy them so much. You've seen some amazing bands for sure! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go, let me know who you see! :)

      Delete
  5. Am glad you went to so many of them, Teresa.

    Yeah to your energy cause honestly it is quite an effort to be a spectator too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband used to be the bassoonist at an Army band and now plays in my work's orchestra. I love to see him perform as often as possible, especially now that he enjoys being on stage again. Have a great weekend, Teresa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a lot of concerts! I haven't been to many, but maybe I will got to more in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...