Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Reverse Bucket List

What, you may ask, is a reverse bucket list?  Good question! I read about it on another blog yesterday, and thought it would be a great idea for a blog post of my own. Instead of writing a list of things you want to do before you die, you make a list of things you've accomplished in your life so far.

So, here's my reverse bucket list, not necessarily in chronological order:

1) Graduated college cum laude (just one lousy A away from magna cum laude...LOL) with a Bachelor of Science in elementary education.

2) Taught kindergarten for several years, and had the time of my life.

3) Gave birth to three healthy children.

4) Raised all three of them to amazing adults.

5) Had an article on teen suicide published in a Christian parenting magazine.

6) Survived two rocky marriages and the ensuing divorces.

7) Got my heart broken by someone who wasn't even close to worth it.

8) Found a man who is DEFINITELY worth it.

9) Published a book of my poetry.

10) Learned to say "no," and put myself first sometimes.

11)   Lived in Germany for two and a half years.

12) Helped my husband recover from pneumonia and lung cancer surgery in the same year.

13) Questioned my faith, "lost" it for a while, and came back to it stronger than ever.

14) Participated in  several 10k volksmarches in Germany.

15) Started not just one, but THREE blogs....this one, one for my poetry, and one to discuss books I've read.

16) Helped all three of my children deal with the deaths of their fathers (in 2012 and 2013)

17) Survived Stage III breast cancer.

18) Went to Florida for spring break during college.

19) Got to see Neil Diamond in concert,as well as many other acts, including Barry Manilow, Boston, The Beach Boys, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Martina McBride, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan.....

20) Been to both Disneyland and Disney World.

21) Seen a double rainbow

22) Saw Wicked live on stage.

23) Visited Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville and Hard Rock Cafe in Myrtle Beach.

24) Visited Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame.

25) Went to the World's Fair in Seattle Washington.

26) Flew from Ohio to Germany with a two year old, and made the return trip with a four year old and six month old,with no other adult to help out.

27) Met a boatload of country music stars over the years, got most of their autographs, and even had actual conversations with a few (most memorable....Reba McIntire asking me where I got my clothes, since I am a "short girl" like her.)

28) Appeared as a guest on the Geraldo show.

29) Met at an airport by a chauffeur holding a sign with my name on it.

30) Ridden in a limo several times.

31) Got to spoil my first grandchild (and I'm still doing it!)

32) After three pregnancies, I have zero stretch marks.

33) Learned to see myself as a strong woman, rather than a victim.

34) Learned to love my life the way it is, rather than looking for something "more" or "better."

35) Forgave my parents for things I blamed them for/held against them for years.

Wow....I started this thinking it was going to be tough, and then once I got started, things just came rushing out. I'm going to cut it off here for now, and maybe do a Part Two at sometime in the future.


3 comments:

  1. What a great idea to list your accomplishments/achievements. It sounds as though you have a very interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of a reverse bucket list! Reading yours, I think wow, what an amazing life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrific blog and a very interesting life, Teresa! Go you!

    Hugs, MJ/VA

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...