Monday, February 10, 2014

Being Content

You know what I want to do....

These days, there's not really a lot that I want out of life.  Now, before you start thinking how sad that sounds, let me explain. I spent way too much of my life thinking there was something "more" or something "better" that I was missing, and I kept looking for it (in a lot of wrong places), usually at the expense of what I already had.

It took me a lot of years (and a lot of disappointments), but I finally made an important discovery. The only way I was going to be happy with my life was to realize who I was, and be content to be that person, in the life I was given to live.  Since I've made that change, and stopped looking for bigger and better things, my life has been amazing.

I have a husband who has seen me through some of the roughest years of my life: dealing with a rebellious teenage daughter creating turmoil in our house, then dealing with her moving out and moving away....dealing with relationship issues between us, and loving me enough to forgive and move on....dealing with the deaths of both of my former husbands in the last two years....and in between those two deaths, dealing with my breast cancer discovery and treatment.

Through it all, he's been my rock...my source of encouragement and strength when I thought I couldn't take one more thing. When all I could see was darkness, he showed me the light at the end of the tunnel, sometimes without even realizing what he was doing. If it weren't for him, I don't know how I would have made it to where I am today.

Along with an amazing husband, I have three wonderful children. Yes, even the one who was a rebellious teen has grown into a pretty good adult---plus, she gets bonus points for being the mom of my adorable grandson!  They have also been a source of strength and support, just as I have been for them.  And seeing each of them grow into adulthood, and continue to be the people I tried to teach them to be growing up....I guess I must have gotten something right along the way!

I have a roof over my head every day, plenty of food on the table, clothes to wear, heat in this cold weather, and air conditioning when it gets too hot in the summer.  We have a car that's dependable....and that gets good gas mileage!...so that we can go where we need to go, when we need to go.

And beyond those basic things, we have a lot of luxuries as well (although some people tend to look at them as necessities these days,but that's a whole other post!). We have satellite tv, cell phones, multiple computers, a HUGE collection of movies and CDs, and a rather large collection of books.

So, what I want to do this morning is just say that I am grateful for the life I have, and I wouldn't change a thing! I look forward to enjoying it for many years to come....and sharing it will all of you, as well.

1 comment:

  1. You've come through a lot, and you've triumphed, yes, allow that word to be yours. Cancer, loss, and teenage hell. I know what it's like to live through teen hell in the house. Happily, a lot of the time they do turn out much better than we ever thought possible. You have every right to celebrate that as a victory of tenacity and strength on your parts, as parents, and as a couple.. Roll on :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...