Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tuesday Ten: Things I Should Say More Often

The Golden Spoons

Based on this video:

1) I love you: Even though I say it quite often, I don't think you can ever say it TOO often to your family and friends.

2&3) Thank you/I appreciate you: These two go together, in that I sometimes take for granted the things that those who live here do for me. I need to work on showing them the same gratitude I would to others.

4) I'm proud of you: I rarely heard this from my parents, and I've tried to do better with my own children, especially now that they are all adults. I am so proud of the way they've turned out, and I want to make sure they know it.

5) I don't agree with your opinion, but I'll support your right to express it: We're a family of diverse opinions, and we're not afraid to express them. Sometimes our discussions can get a bit heated, and this simple statement could remove some of that heat.

6) I need your help: I'm a fairly independent person, and I hate to have to ask others for help, even if those others are my husband and/or children. Getting through chemo and radiation would NOT have been possible without help around the house, for sure.

7) I'm sorry: Apologizing when you hurt someone's feelings, intentionally or not, is always a good thing to do.

8) I was wrong: It's also good to be able to admit when you make a mistake, and be willing to do what you can to correct it.

9) I forgive you: The other side of admitting you were wrong, or saying you're sorry....being willing to forgive those who say those things to you, and not holding it against them.

10) Please: I have a bad habit of making requests sound like orders, because I often forget to include this one little word.






6 comments:

  1. It's so hard to admit when I'm wrong, which happens more than I would like to admit! It's a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #5 is an excellent one. Think how much better the world would be if we could all internalize that thought!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Rabia. :) Your #5 is definitely excellent! Everyone has a right to their own opinion - even when it differs from mine. I need to remember that more often. I also like that you included "I appreciate you" in with your "Thank You" on #2. Everyone needs to know and feel that they're appreciated more often than I tend to express. So with that thought in mind, I really "appreciate you" including these items in your list and sharing them with us. They are all things I need to work on and improve. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love #5! There are so many times when I think differently about something than my husband does, but that doesn't mean one way is better than the other!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I had many of the same ones on mine. I think I'm pretty good at #5, but I know a lot of people who aren't! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also had a lot of the same ones on my list... one of the most powerful still for me is "I need your help." It's so hard to do but those around us want to help us. All we nee to do is ask. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...