Monday, January 27, 2014

Random Thoughts On The Grammy Awards

First of all, just let me say that I am VERY grateful that not ONCE last night were the words "And the Grammy goes to...." followed by the name "Taylor Swift."  I appreciate all the girl has accomplished, but honestly, now that she's in her twenties, it's time to move on from writing all the teen angst "he broke up with me" songs. Try writing something a little more grown up, unless you are only looking for the teeny bopper fan base forever.

And while I'm writing about Taylor, may I just ask WHY? was she doing that whole tossing her head around, almost head banging sort of move during her song? It was very distracting, and felt out of place given that she was singing a ballad at the time.

The opening number by Beyonce and Jay-Z had me thinking that maybe I'm getting too old to watch the Grammy show. I'm sorry, but the lyrics to "Drunk In Love" are just nasty. I didn't want to hear about her riding his surfboard all night, I really, really didn't!!!   But, Jay-Z was able to redeem himself a little, later in the show, when he won his Grammy and said "Look, Blue, I got you a new gold sippy cup!"  That was just adorable!!!

Paul and Ringo performing together...Beatle fangirl dreams are made of this, I'm telling you.  That was AMAZING!  I just think it's totally unfair, however, that Ringo is aging so much more gracefully than Sir Paul, who was always my Beatle crush.  Ringo, who is two years older, still looks hot and sexy, while Paul has aged a great deal in the last couple of years. Watching him last night was almost painful, like watching your best friend's dad try to pretend that he's still cool and "with it."

And just because the two of them performed, did they have to then trot out Olivia Harrison and Yoko Ono to present an award?  Olivia is a wonderful woman, but Yoko is just, in my opinion, too socially awkward for that sort of situation. She couldn't even read her part off the prompter without it sounding like she was reading it off the prompter, for heaven's sake.  And yes, I am still bitter over things she's done in the past, and I always will be....that's just the way I am.

Absolutely loved the segment with Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Merle Haggard, and Blake Shelton. The four of them were obviously having a great time together, and they all sounded great. Makes me look forward to April and the ACM Awards, with Blake and Luke Bryan co-hosting--that will definitely be an eye candy night for me!!

Pink....wow! The woman can sing, and she's quite the athlete. That was a real Cirque du Soleil worthy performance she did last night above the crowd, not to mention she was singing the entire time she was performing. I have a whole new respect for her after that.

And can I just say that while I genuinely like the Macklemore and Ryan Lewis song Same Love, and all it stands for, I thought the entire group wedding thing was over the top cheesy.  I would never do something like that, unless I'd already had a real, family and friends surrounding me, wedding ceremony somewhere else. Last night was just "Exchange rings" and "By the power vested in me by the State of California......" and it was over.  Way too quick and impersonal for my tastes....you get more than that from a trip to the courthouse---just sayin'.

Which brings us to Madonna.  As a friend of mine said on Facebook last night: Madonna, Roy Rogers called and he wants his cowboy suit back! Girl, that was not the best outfit choice for you, for sure. I would have preferred the blue corset type thing they were showing her in whenever they showed her picture the million times they hyped the fact she was on the show.

Wow...this turned out longer than I thought it would, and a lot more negative, as well. Again, I think maybe I am just getting too old to watch, and should leave it to the young folk.  Naw, I'll probably be watching again next year, regardless.

2 comments:

  1. I feel too old for the Grammies too. I didn't watch them, and, from your description of Bey and Jay-Z, I'm glad I didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Taylor Swift did a couple of songs for the Hunger Games soundtrack that aren't break-up songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhAS_GnJIc

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...