Friday, January 3, 2014

Just Don't Do It

When I read today's prompt, I had all sorts of thoughts going through my head, and didn't have any idea what direction this post would take. But then I went on Facebook, and THREE different parenting pages I read were discussing the idea of public humiliation as a discipline tool for a child who has been bullying others.

JUST DON'T DO IT!

Your kid is bullying someone, so you decide it will be a great idea to hand them a sign that says "I'm a bully" and make them stand on a corner where random strangers can hurl insults at them? Can we say hypocrite? Bullying your kid to teach them not to bully others makes as much sense as hitting them to teach them not to hit, or biting them to teach them not to bite...in other words, no sense at all.

JUST DON'T DO IT!

My kids were certainly not angels, but I can say that they were never bullies...and I tend to believe that is because they were taught from a very early age, by words and by the way they were treated, that other people deserve empathy, compassion, and love. When they would do something that was harmful/hurtful to another person, they were not met with the same behavior being inflicted on them...their consequence was to have to do something HELPFUL for that person--a random act of kindness, if you will.  And as their parent, I tried to make sure they saw ME do the same thing when I hurt someone, especially if that someone was one of them.

So, again, when it comes to public humiliation and children....JUST DON'T DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...