Saturday, January 11, 2014

How I Spent My Summer (And Fall)

Prompt:  We spent months....

Those of you new to the blog since I started this year's Blog Dare may not be aware of what a wild ride I was on last year, so today's post will help bring you up to speed. For those of you who are aware, feel free to skip reading today...I promise not to feel offended. 

On April 10, 2013, I went for my annual mammogram, knowing that I had an issue. That mammogram led to an ultrasound immediately afterwards, and after that was checked, I was informed that I did, indeed, have a tumor. I had a biopsy done on April 12, 2013, and then had an appointment with a surgeon on April 18, 2013, which was when I got the official diagnosis of invasive ductal carcinoma. 

We scheduled my mastectomy for May 10, 2013, and then I went on to meet the plastic surgeon and discuss reconstruction, the radiation oncologist and the medical oncologist (to discuss radiation and chemo, either or both of which might be needed after the surgery).  Days before the surgery, on the 7th, I got a call from my surgeon....he didn't like the look of my CT scan, so he wanted to put off the surgery, schedule an MRI and PET scan, and see what they showed us.

The scans didn't show any further areas of cancer, but they did show that some lymph nodes in the chest wall were involved, and their location made it almost impossible to remove them with surgery. So....surgery temporarily came off the table, and we started eight rounds of chemo, four each of two different drugs.  Chemo started the end of May and lasted for the next four months, with the last treatment being on September 4, 2013. 

At the end of September, we FINALLY got to the point of having the surgery--and in November I started radiation.  December 24th was my last radiation treatment, and since then I've been concentrating on healing and getting my strength back.  I have an appointment on Jan. 14th with my medical oncologist, and I presume that's when we'll set up appointments for more scans, to see where we stand now....and after that, hopefully, I can start to plan for reconstruction.  Stay tuned for further updates.

1 comment:

  1. What a year you've had! I've followed your story without commenting as I think a lot of people probably do. Good luck for 2014 and your reconstruction procedures.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...