Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Paula Deen "Scandal"

First of all, anyone who knows me well knows that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a racist. I had black friends in high school and college, I have three mixed grandsons, I was one of the few people who supported  my cousin's marriage to a black man, and I have a wonderful young nephew who was adopted from Ethiopia.  I do not use racial slurs, and I don't allow those close to me to use them around me.

All of that being said, I believe that the Paula Deen situation has been totally blown out of proportion.  Yes, she admitted to using the "N"word"....once in a conversation with her husband, and once in a conversation with her brother about his wedding. Two private conversations, which should never have had to be made public, IMO. Is the word offensive? Yes, it is....but are there any of us who haven't used a potentially offensive word at some point in our life, when we're with our family members or our closest friends?

And let's not forget the era in which Paula grew up. She's a 66 year old Southern woman. That means she grew up, and became an adult, in a time before civil rights, before integration, before white people began to realize they were doing something wrong in the way they treated black people. My husband told me today that, when he lived in South Carolina in the late 70s, long after the Civil Rights Act, blacks would still step off the sidewalk to let whites pass them by---so it's not just white people of a certain age who kept that mindset long after the era had passed.

Paula has apologized, and people should just let it go....especially now that she's lost her contract with The Food Network.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...