Friday, May 10, 2013

A Bump In The Road

I expected to be in the hospital this evening, recuperating from my mastectomy. However, I got a call from my surgeon on Tuesday morning: last week's CT scan was troubling, so he wanted an MRI and a PET scan as soon as possible. If they show any spread of the cancer to other parts of the body, then we'll have to put off the surgery until after I have chemo (which means about six months).

Yesterday was the day I had both the MRI and the PET scan. I'd never had either one before, so it was a learning experience for me. Let's just say that it's a good thing I don't suffer from claustrophobia..I spent a lot of time enclosed in machines, not moving. If it hadn't been for all the noise, I probably would have been able to drift off to sleep---well, the noise and the hunger pains (since I didn't eat anything until 6 pm last night!)

Other news on the journey is encouraging, however. My estrogen and progesterone receptors are positive, which makes me a good candidate for hormone therapy if we have to go the chemo route. I'm still trying to stay positive, no matter what comes along, so I look for as many good things as I can.

Not much else to tell you until I see my doctor on Wednesday. Check back then!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...