Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Not Real Parents? Really?

I posted the following on my Facebook page yesterday, in support of the two ads depicted: Photobucket

Shortly thereafter, I received this comment: "Makes me feel bad for being straight! They won't even advertise real parents!!!" I'm sorry, but that just made me angry. Since when do you have to be straight to be a real parent?  I happen to know that in many families with two mommies or two daddies, at least one of them is the biological parent of the child, which would be about as real as it comes. And do you then want to say that anyone who isn't a biological parent isn't a "real" parent? What about stepparents? What about adoptive parents?

It's not what you do in the privacy of your bedroom that makes you a "real" parent, at least in my opinion. It's the fact that you love the child, that you make sure the child is provided for, that you're there when the child needs you. Whether you have a biological connection to that child or not is the very LEAST of the qualifications for the title of Mom or Dad.

As the old saying goes "Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy." And it also holds true that "Any woman can be a mother, but it takes someone special to be a Mommy."

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I hadn't seen the ads, but they make me want to shop JCP more often.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...