Wednesday, June 13, 2012

50 Shades Of Weirdness......

I've been on the waiting list for 50 SHADES OF GREY for weeks now, and looking forward to finally getting to read it. So many people I know, and people I'm in Facebook groups with, have read it and talked about how erotic and exciting it was...it truly sounded like something I would enjoy as a summer read.


Today I finally was able to pick it up from the library. As soon as I got home, I made myself a cup of tea and settled in for what I expected to be an entire afternoon of reading. What actually happened was the most unusual experience I have EVER had with a book!!!

The minute I started to read about the first encounter between the two main characters, Anastasia Steele and  Christian Grey, I had an emotional reaction. The guy just made me feel uncomfortable, for want of a better word. There was just "something" in his mannerisms and the things he said that was setting off alarm bells in my head. By the time I was reading about their second meeting (and bear in mind I still hadn't gotten to anything erotic yet!), I was thinking that, if I were Anastasia, I would get up and RUN, not walk, away from this guy. At that point, I had to put the book down and walk away from it for fifteen or twenty minutes.

I eventually went back and started reading again. The uncomfortable feeling returned almost immediately, and it wasn't long before I felt my skin starting to "crawl" and my hands were shaking. By the time I got to the chapter where he showed her his "playroom" and they started discussing their contract, I thought I was going to throw up any second.

Down went the book again, and this time I have no intention of EVER picking it up again. I don't know what it was that reading those things was triggering, but I'm fairly sure that I don't want to find out any time soon. Just writing about it here has me shaking again, so I think this post is going to have to come to an end, too. Count me out of the "50 SHADES' fan club, for sure!!!!

1 comment:

  1. So many of my friends have been talking about that book and I've heard so many mixed reviews from it appearing that a child wrote it to it being the best thing on paper. I kind of feel like I have to check it out for myself, but I'm not so sure now!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...