Tuesday, May 1, 2012

My Favorite Subject

No, not my favorite subject to talk about, or blog about...my favorite subject in school. Since I've been a poet/writer since I was ten, I'm sure it won't come as much of a surprise to learn that my favorite subject through elementary school, junior and senior high, and even college, was English...although over time that narrowed to Literature and Creative Writing.

I'm also a voracious reader, and have been since I learned to read...which was, according to my mother, somewhere between three and four. I know that by the time I was six, I was going to the library every Saturday and checking out a stack of books, and that by the time I was in fifth grade, I was reading at a high school level....and comprehending what I was reading.

Words are my "thing," I guess you could say. I'm better at writing them than speaking them, because when I'm writing I can go back, delete something that doesn't sound just right, and keep working at it till I find just the RIGHT words to express myself.  When speaking, I don't generally have the luxury of time to put the words together in the perfect way, so I tend to be a better listener than a talker.

When I look back, I fondly remember four teachers who helped foster my love of the words. The first two were my junior high English teachers, Robert Lawson and Dennis Fravel. The other two were college professors: Jack Hart, who taught my Creative Writing class, and Joanne Ford, who taught several Lit classes I took. Without the four of them, I don't think I'd be half the writer I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...