Wednesday, April 18, 2012

P Is For Phobias


So, today, let's talk about my phobias.  My first big phobia was bridges...more accurately, crossing them. When I was six, a bridge that connected my hometown in Ohio with a town across the Ohio River in West Virginia, collapsed, killing 46 people. Some bodies were never found, including the mother and brother of my best friend.  From that point, I was terrified to cross a bridge. I would close my eyes, hold my breath, and grip the door handle, from the time we got on one end of the bridge until we got off at the other end. This intense fear is one of the reasons I didn't get my driver's license until I was 22...I knew I'd never be able to drive over a bridge on my own! Even after I did get my license, my heart would race while crossing a bridge. I would say that I was somewhere in my thirties before I finally fully got over that fear.

My other phobia, which I still have to this day, is snakes. As a very young child, I went with my parents to the zoo in Miami, Florida, including the Reptile House. That night, at the hotel, I woke up screaming from a nightmare involving snakes. I can't remember the nightmare, but I know that from that day forward, I've been very, VERY scared of snakes. When the rest of the family decided to watch the video "Snakes On A Plane," I KNEW it was a bad idea for me to watch it, but I gave in, regardless. By the end of the film, I was a nervous wreck...I was seeing snakes crawling on our living room floor, and I didn't think I would ever get to sleep that night! Something tells me this is a phobia I'll be dealing with for my entire life.

1 comment:

  1. bridges used to be one of mine--still don't love them--my greatest phobia, is cannot even type here--great post

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...