Friday, April 6, 2012

F Is For Family


Day 6 of the Blogging From A To Z Challenge.

Time to to take a few minutes to introduce my wild and wonderful family. My name is Teresa, I'm 50 years old, a stay at home mom who lives in a suburb of Dayton, Ohio, and I'm working on becoming a freelance writer. I've been writing poetry since I was 10 yrs. old, and occasionally dabbled in writing prose, both fiction and nonfiction.

I have a variety of interests other than my writing. There's my family, reading (I'm always working on at least one book, and sometimes two or three at the same time), music, movies, crossword puzzles, genealogy, working with children, playing video games (Tetris and Bejeweled Blitz mostly)....and I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but they'll probably pop up in posts this month.

I've been married almost nine years now to my husband, Barry. He's a shift supervisor at a customer service call center...currently under contract with AT&T. He's got a knack for surprising me with little gifts "just because," right when I really need cheering up....and for frustrating/irritating me with some little thing, as well, so it all balances out! We share our love of movies, music and books, and we enjoy sitting out on the back porch in the evenings talking as long as the weather is good.

Then there are my three children...a son and two daughters. Brian is 26 years old, and lives with his fiance, Jennifer, in Monroe, Ohio. He works for Greater Cincinnati Computers, and is also going to college. He was recently in a car accident which resulted in a totally smashed right ankle, and has a long road to recovery. He is artistically inclined (I have several sketches he's done over the years), and also enjoys music, movies and anime.

Samantha is 22 years old, and lives in Union City, Michigan,  with her husband, Andy, and their 2 1/2 year old son, Micheal. She's a stay at home mom, and now that Micheal is two, she has even more appreciation for her OWN mother...gotta love that! :) She's always had a vivid imagination---I may have to do an entire post one day on some of the great stories she told us as a child--and has enjoyed writing stories since she was a preteen.

Amy is 19, and she plans to continue her education to get both an associate and bachelors degrees in nursing, looking at a career in pediatric nursing. She's always been good with children, and they seem to love her, so it seems like a good fit to me. Like her brother, Amy has artistic talents, AND she also has more writing talent than she'll give herself credit for having. Amy is engaged to Kenny, who is also a college student, majoring in electrical engineering.

Gandalf is the other major character in my life....and boy, is he a character! He's our grey, tiger striped cat who is about 4 yrs old. Like his human momma, he's a bit skittish when he first meets people, but once he gets to know you, he's very friendly and sweet. He is, however, the only cat I've ever encountered who licks curtains!!! He will sit on the back of the sofa, grab a curtain with one front paw to hold it steady, and start licking it. He also will stand up on his back legs and try to turn the doorknob on the back door if he wants to go outside....a strange cat, indeed.


2 comments:

  1. nice to meet your family---you and i have something other than this blogging exercise in common---i too started writing poetry when i was about ten--all of these wonderful blogs i have been visiting including yours--have re-kindled my love for poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice snapshot of your family. This kind of post just puts the whole blog into context.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...