Monday, January 16, 2012

Yet Another Unpopular Opinion

I know this is going to be unpopular, and may even rate some hateful comments, but at this point I really don't care.

First, let me say that I agree MLK Jr. was a wonderful man who did a lot of good toward creating equality in this country. He's someone that we should all teach our children to look up to, respect, and strive to be like as they become adults.

That said, I am not a fan of today being a national/federal holiday. He was not the only person, minority or not, who worked toward racial or gender equality, yet he's the one singled out for a day of remembrance. Just my own simple opinion, but I believe it was a political move, pure and simple.

I would be much happier with a general "Civil Equality Day" where we remember and celebrate EVERYONE who contributed to making this country as great as it is today. I know it will never happen, but a girl can dream, can't she?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...