Thursday, November 3, 2011

The REST Of The Story

This post is written from a prompt, provided here:

Mama’s

1.) Did you create a list of 22 things you've done in your life for last week's Writer's Workshop? This week, choose one item from your list and elaborate! We want the story.

I decided to tell the story about my appearance as a guest on the GERALDO show.

I was watching an episode of the show in October or November 1992, the topic of which was men who left their girlfriends/wives and wound up with the sister of that woman. Geraldo made the comment that brothers would never do that...so I immediately picked up the phone to call his comment line. You see, my first husband, Doug, and my second husband, George, who were both adopted, have evidence to suggest that they could be biological brothers (which actually creeped me out quite a bit when it first came to light!!!). I left a short message on the subject, hung up and pretty much forgot all about it.

Now fast forward to April 1993. The phone rings, and I hear someone saying they are a producer from the Geraldo show, and they want to talk about the comment I left regarding a previous show. At first I thought it was some sort of joke, naturally, but he eventually convinced me he was for real--and that they wanted us to come to New York City that week to film!! After several phone conversations with George, and with Doug's wife, Mary, we all agreed that we would do it, and just try to have some fun in the process.

George and I left Brian and Samantha with my grandmother for the day, and took five month old Amy with us. We took one of the first flights of the morning out of Huntington WV to JFK in New York City. At the airport, there was actually a driver waiting for us, with a sign that had our last name...it was surreal! And the car already had a car seat ready and waiting for Amy!!

After a drive through New York City that seemed to take forever--and left me fearing for my life more than once--we arrived at CBS Studios. There was some confusion initially at the main reception desk, as the receptionist first thought that we were bringing Amy to a taping for As The World Turns. When that was straightened out, we were soon met by a production assistant who took us upstairs to a dressing room.

I was visited in the dressing room by hair and makeup techs, which was one of the most fun parts of the day. I wish I still had some of the pics from that day...I felt totally glamorous by the time they were done! Dave, the producer of the episode came in to talk to us, which was a rather eye-opening conversation. He told us that, at the beginning of the show, Geraldo would say something, then I was to respond a certain way, etc. Since what they were expecting me to say was not the way things went down, I balked at being less than honest, particularly on national television. And when he mentioned wanting Mary and I to get into a fight, or at least an argument, on-stage, I put my foot down and absolutely refused to go along with that. I wasn't going to embarrass myself or any of my family members that way, period!

Once we got finished with that conversation, a production assistant took us downstairs to the commissary to hang out while they filmed another episode..and to keep us from running into Doug and Mary before our taping. While we sat at a table eating our lunch, we spotted several people we recognized. We saw Ed Bradley and Andy Rooney at a table next to us...Don Hughes, one of our favorite actors from As The World Turns, stopped by our table when he saw Amy--it was Take Your Daughter To Work Day, and he presumed one of us worked there and had brought her with us, as he had brought HIS daughter that day...we also spotted several other actors and actresses from that show during the course of the day.

The actual taping of the show was the longest hour of my life to that point. Geraldo's questions, as well as his "explanation" of the situation, made me look like some sort of "bad guy" ...and then his so-called "expert" went so far as to say that I wanted to have my cake and eat it too. When I was finally given my chance to respond to her, I had reached my boiling point. I told her that she didn't know me, that she was basing her opinion on a 20 minute segment of a television show, where facts were distorted, and that she had no right to make judgments on me or my life. Once I got all that out, I felt much better (and I was disappointed to learn, when the show aired, that my entire rant was during the closing credits!).

When taping was complete, all the guests, as well as the expert, spent some time in the "green room" with Geraldo, and there was a lot of picture taking. Geraldo, whose daughter Isabella is only about a week older than Amy, made a fuss over her and said something about having one of those at home. :) The "expert" attempted to apologize to me, but I was still too hurt and angry to have any part of it.

Then it was back in the limo and off to the airport, where we bought ridiculously overpriced Taco Bell food while waiting for our flight. As I have often told people, it was a fun day, with lots of excitement, marred by a one hour debacle (the taping). If I had it to do over again, I would definitely think twice about making that original phone call!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...