Saturday, August 13, 2011

What Respect Means To Me

I've had my last button pushed, thanks to already being in a lousy mood for most of this month, and so I'm gonna shoot off my mouth here....and if you don't like it, I don't much care. It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it!

When you make a commitment to be somewhere at a specific time, then you should BE THERE. If you have an emergency, that's one thing, and it's understandable that you might not be able to make it, and that you might not be able to let the other person know right away. But if you have plans with someone, and someone else asks you to do something, which would require you having to re-arrange the plans already made--at least in MY world--you ask the second person, whoever they may be, if you can do the thing with them at a later date.

Yes, I DO mean even if the person who asks you to do something is your parent, particularly if you are an adult. I love my mother deeply, and I'd do anything for her, but if I already had made plans to go somewhere with Barry, and we'd been looking forward to it for weeks, I'd have no qualms saying "Mom, I'm really busy today...but I can do that tomorrow, if that works for you." And you know what? She'd understand and we'd be fine...because that's the way she taught me the world is supposed to work. And it works in reverse as well...if I wanted Amy to go somewhere, or to do something, but she had already made plans with Kenny, then we'd work around those plans and make sure she wasn't late or didn't have to cancel. You HONOR your commitments, always....to show the person you committed to that you realize their time is important and that they MATTER to you!!!

Yes, family comes first...but within reason! You don't drop everything for just anything a family member asks...PRIORITIES matter. And family means more than just your nuclear family, too...family means the one you create with the one you love, as well....and the nuclear family needs to expand its circle to include that person and make them feel included, not continue to make them feel they're on the outside looking in.

And I'm gonna shut up now before I say way more than I want to put down here....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...