Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Things People Say.....

What's the stupidest thing you've heard in the last week? Maybe online, or a work, or from a friend or family member?

So far this week, I'd have to give that distinction to a Facebook poster on a discussion regarding donated breast milk.
This poster stated that the idea is "disgusting, disturbing and absurd" and that she would rather have her child drinking cow's milk than milk from some other woman. I was absolutely shaking my head in amazement as I read this!

Human breast milk is produced for the specific purpose of nourishing human children. Cow's milk is intended to nourish calves...and the milk that is sold for human consumption is full of growth hormones and antibiotics. Human breast milk helps to improve a child's immune system, while the additives in cow's milk can damage it.

If I were a new mother who, for whatever reason, could not provide my child with my own breast milk, I would be thrilled at the thought of getting it from a donor. Of course, I would want to know that she had been properly tested, to make sure the milk would not be passing along any germs or drugs that could be harmful to my child, but other than that, I don't see why it would be so "disgusting, disturbing and absurd."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...