Saturday, June 11, 2011

Affection Abounds



The Prompt:
Affection.

Some of us show it easily, hugging relatives each time we meet. Wrapping our arms around friends.

Some of us are more reserved, rarely touching other people.

And then a few of us hang out somewhere in the middle. Hugging our children, but limiting our affection to handshakes with others.

This week we would like you to write about how the show of affection has played a part in your memory.

Choose a time when either the abundance or lack of affection (either by you or someone else) stands out, and show us. Bring us to that time. Help us feel what you felt.

My Response:
We had talked online and on the telephone almost every day for the last nine months. This day, however, was different. On this day, we were finally going to meet face to face.

I agonized for days over what to wear, and finally decided on a skirt and top. I put on my makeup and fixed my hair, and worried that I somehow wouldn't be what he was expecting. Then I sat around and tried to wait patiently for the appointed time.

When that wasn't happening, I decided to go downstairs and wait by the front door instead. I saw a car pull up, and while it was the same make and model he had said he would be driving, I still wasn't sure that it was him, so I waited. As soon as he stepped out, I recognized him from the picture he had sent me, and I practically ran out the door. The smile I saw on his face was one of the biggest I'd ever brought to anyone, and I know mine was looking just as big. We shared a quick, awkward hug, and then he helped me into the car.

As we drove the few blocks to our destination, we held hands and smiled a lot. We were also able to talk, and both admit that we had been extremely nervous to finally meet. Once we got to the hotel where he was staying, and into his suite, he pulled me into an embrace and a kiss...and we continued that for a good hour, with only the briefest snippets of conversation going on.

This was in 2000, and 11 years later, we're still a very affectionate couple. We can't walk past one another without at least reaching out to touch, or kiss....we sit close on the couch watching television, and hold hands...we say "I love you," whenever one of us goes out the door, and in our emails, as well as the last thing before we go to sleep. Ain't love grand? :)

3 comments:

  1. Your story? Could so be mine! Beautifully told. I love that you hold onto that touch- it's vital!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwww! love this. i love the awkwardness quickly melting into the comfortable in particular!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the same way on my first date with my then husband. I was so worried that it would be awkward and we wouldn't have anything to say, but we did and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...