Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Name

Topic #119: What is the story behind your given name? Bonus: Do a web search on your given name and write about what you find.

The personal story behind my given name is a rather short one. My mother wanted to name me Parthena, with no middle name, in honor of her best friend from cosmetology school--and then call me Par for short. (Yes, I've already thought of all the jokes that would have been made at my expense!) My father was very much against the idea, and came up with the name Teresa instead. My middle name is Dene (pronounced Dean), just like my mother's. Knowing what my name COULD have been has kept me from complaining--much--about the name I wound up being given.

Teresa \t(e)-re-sa as a girl's name is pronounced ter-REE-sah, ter-RAY-sah. It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Teresa is late summer. Popular variant of Theresa. The first bearers of this name might have been from the Greek island of Therasia.

TERESA

Gender: Feminine

Usage: Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Finnish, Polish, German, Scandinavian, English

Pronounced: te-RE-sah (Spanish, Italian, Polish), te-RE-zah (German), tə-REE-sə (English), tə-REE-zə (English) [key]

Cognate of THERESA. Saint Teresa of Ávila was a 16th-century Spanish nun who reformed the Carmelite monasteries and wrote several spiritual books. It was also borne by the beatified Albanian missionary Mother Teresa (1910-1997), who worked with the poor in Calcutta. She adopted the name in honour of the French saint Thérèse de Lisieux, who is the patron of missionaries.

The name Dene is of English origin and means "dean, ecclesiastical supervisor".

Dene, is generally used as a boy's name. It is pronounced Dene and consists of 4 letters and 1 syllable.

Last year it was not one of the top 1000 most popular U.S. boys names.

Dene is a variant spelling of Dean

Dene has no nicknames.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Parthena huh? Quite a mouthful for sure but I would have used Thena for the nickname for it instead of Par. I can hear the teasing with that one for sure Teresa. My Dad wanted to name me Leilani. Oh yea. Perfect name for a girl growing up in the 70's. Oh and I turn 50 on June 5th. I beat you by just a few days. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen...yeah, I always said that I would have gone by Thena when I got old enough to make my wishes known.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...