Thursday, May 12, 2011

High School Redux

This post is written from a prompt, provided here:
Mama’s

1.) If you had to go back to high school, how would you do it differently?

Well, first of all, let's be totally honest and say that I would never willingly go back to high school...not even for a million dollars, thankyouverymuch!!! But, if I absolutely HAD to do it, with no choice at all in the matter, there are very few things I would change.

The first thing that comes to mind is not quitting band my senior year. At the time, I had what I considered a valid reason. My parents, who had been chaperones for every away football game, marching band contest, or what have you over the first three years, separated at the end of my junior year. The idea of being in the band, and no longer having the two of them right there, cheering me on, was just more than I was able to deal with at that time.

I was hopeful that I could just ditch marching band, and still take part in symphonic band, jazz band and pep band. When I brought up the possibility to the band director, however, he responded that if he let me do that, "everyone" would want to do it. I hate to admit it, but I didn't handle that very well at all. I walked to the door of the band room, turned back to face him, and said "Then you can just go to hell!"

Looking back, I would love to have had the experience of being a SENIOR in marching band, and in band in general. I really missed a lot of fun times with friends because of my emotional choice. I've gotten over it after all these years, but sometimes I do still have that tinge of regret.

6 comments:

  1. I can so much relate to missing out due to emotional choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been very difficult to deal with. High School is hard enough navigating all kinds of social situations and then adding in such a big change. I can understand why you did it though. Emotions are strong at that age. I'm glad to have mellowed out over the years! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's sad you quit band because of your parents separation. Too bad the teacher wouldn't let you just drop out of one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That had to have been so difficult. For sure HS is hard enough w/o adding more drama to it. I can sort of relate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can understand why you wanted quit. It must have been very painful to see your parents separate as well.

    I totally would not want to go back to high school either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I quit basketball my junior year and really regret that as well! Sad to think about what we might have missed out on by calling it quits like that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...