Saturday, April 9, 2011

Nicknames

Do you have a nickname? How did you get it, and do you like it?

At this point in my life, I don't actually have a nickname. However, in the past, I have had several, so I decided to write about them, and their origins.

1) Peppermint Patty--my dad used to call me this when I was young. I'm not really sure how it came about, but I would imagine it was because I was such a tomboy at the time, much like the character in the PEANUTS comic strip. I liked it, mostly because it came from my Daddy.

2) Little Drip--Dad's nickname was Drip, for whatever reason...so I was Little Drip, and when my brother came along, he was Droplet. This came from some guys who had known Dad most of his life, and I always thought it was cute, but ridiculous at the same time.

3) Horseface--a neighbor, who shall remain nameless, used to call me this when we were in elementary school. It sounds horrible, but it was meant good-naturedly, as he and I were always best buddies and hung out together for years.

4) Tish--this one came from the above-mentioned neighbor's mother--and he often expanded it to "tissue paper"...gotta love the sense of humor of a grade school boy, don't you? I actually always liked this one, as she told me it was a Southern way of shortening "Teresa"--and Mom would never let anyone call me anything other than Teresa, so I was never a Teri....

5) Mouse--this one came from my high school band director, and caught on with other band members in no time. It was based on my playing a particular piece of music more softly than he thought I should, so he said "Come on, Mouse, let me hear you!"

6) Reese--came from my best friend about 15 yrs ago, when he learned that my mother didn't approve of anyone calling me Teri. He joked that it was a way around her aversion, and to still give me a shortened version of my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...