Thursday, April 28, 2011

How Embarrassing!!!

This post is written from a prompt, provided here:
Mama’s

5.) Something embarrassing that happened at school.

I can still remember this like it was yesterday. I was in eighth grade, and it was a cold winter day. My three best friends and I had decided to have a dress up day, so we were all in skirts or dresses, hose and heels. As was our usual routine, we went to the band room to drop off our instruments, then decided to leave via the back door and the fire escape, which would put us a few steps closer to the junior high building.

Naturally, it didn't occur to any of us that, it being a very cold morning, there might be ICE on the fire escape. The first indication any of us had of said ice was when my feet flew out from under me, and I went sailing down on my back. I closed my eyes and resigned myself to hitting hard at the bottom...but just about the time I thought I should be slamming into the concrete, I felt a pair of hands close around my waist.

When I opened my eyes, I almost wished that I HAD hit the concrete, because I was looking up into the face of our band director--who I'd had a crush on ever since I met him the beginning of seventh grade! He asked me if I was all right, and I automatically answered "Yes, I think so," even though I was having trouble remembering to breathe (but I was sure that had nothing to do with the fall, and everything to do with him holding on to me). His response brought the "moment" to an abrupt end, however: "Good...then get off my folder!"

I stood up, willing my legs to work, turned around, and sure enough, on the bottom stair, there was his music folder, where he'd tossed it to stop my fall. I reached down, picked it up and handed it to him, muttering a "thanks" before I was surrounded and whisked away by my friends. It was definitely a moment to remember...and not in a good way! (Although I DO laugh about it now, which at the time I never would have thought possible!!)

Photobucket
This is the building where the band room is located...you can see the back door between the two windows...the fire escape goes across the roof and then down the side of the building.

3 comments:

  1. You poor thing! That does sound terrible, especially in junior high when everything is life and death!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 8th grade is such an awkward time -- I hope for everyone because it was for me! I didn't write about it, but one instance was choosing between a humongous hole in your nylons or super white legs.
    Thanks for introducing me to a whole new set of writing memes on your other blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep ... that would be memorable! :)

    Visiting from Mama Kats :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...