Thursday, April 7, 2011

Death And Tears

Writing prompt: Have you ever cried over the death of a famous person?

I can actually think of twice when I cried over the death of a famous person. The first time was August 16, 1977. It was just before the beginning of my junior year in high school, and my father was driving me to a marching band rehearsal. As usual, we were listening to the radio, and there was a breaking news story on the death of Elvis. I'm still not sure WHY I cried, because I was never a diehard fan, although I have always enjoyed several of his songs. Once I got to the school, The King was a major topic of conversation, and I discovered I wasn't the only one having a very emotional reaction to the news.

The second time, ironically, was just over 20 years later, on August 31, 1997. This time around, it hit me MUCH harder, though....the deceased was only 4 days older than me, and I had found myself identifying with her SO much since she'd hit the public eye back in 1981. For those who haven't figured it out yet, I'm talking about Princess Diana. I was up in the middle of the night to see her marry Prince Charles, I celebrated when William and Harry were born, I worried as she grew horrendously thin, I hurt for her when the marriage fell apart...and I cheered when she seemed to find real love. When I heard, late one Saturday night, that she and Dodi had been in a car crash in Paris, I sent up prayers for her, and for the boys, before I went to bed. The next morning, as we were getting ready for church, I turned on the news to see if there was word on her condition....and what I heard had me collapsing on the couch, bawling like a baby. And days later, watching her funeral, I was sobbing again, numerous times. (additional note: yes, I'll be getting up in the middle of the night on the 29th of this month to watch William get married....how could I NOT?????)


5 comments:

  1. I remember watching the coverage of this late at night (a Saturday, wasn't it?) ffrom the top bunk of my dorm room in grad school. I probably did cry a little, but my roommate situation was so absolutely wretched at that point that I was losing weight and I didn't really have much emotional stamina for grieving for anyone else--even Di! :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it was a Saturday night...but when we went to bed, they were only saying that she had broken bones and some internal bleeding...the true extent of her injuries wasn't reported until much later at night, so I didn't hear till Sunday morning. Sorry that you were going through your own rough time back then!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here! I cried for Diana too and I'm pretty sure I'd have cried for the King as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember crying for Diana too. The whole funeral was so emotional and outsized that it was hard not to be moved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful post.
    Elvis, Princess Di and Patrick Swayze.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...