Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Life...My Choices

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now, and finally decided to put some thoughts down in black and white. I am, for the most part, a tolerant, accepting person, as most people who know me well can tell you. I don't care what you do with your life and your time, as long as it's legal, and as long as you don't try to change how I feel about your activities. There are some things I'll ask you to keep out of my house, but that's my right, just as it's your right to choose to do those things other places.

What irritates me is someone trying to tell me that I don't have the right to do something, just because it's something they don't happen to believe in. I know there are people out there who don't believe that it's "right" to drink alcohol...that's their choice, and I don't hold it against them. I don't offer them alcohol, I don't drink in front of them, even in my own home, and I try not to even make alcohol a part of any conversations I have with them. I do that because I RESPECT their right to make their own choices for their lives....and I would expect them to have that sort of RESPECT for me as well.

Unfortunately, that doesn't always happen. There are people who feel they have the right to tell me not to do things just because they don't believe in those things....and that they resent me for doing those things. The most recent accusation is that I'm being careless with the lives of OTHERS through MY choices...and that I'm trying to be "cool." And then, the best one....it was suggested that I do unto others as I would have them do unto me.

Hey, I could have sworn that's what I've always done....live and let live, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...