Friday, October 8, 2010

A Strong Woman? ME???

Over the last several months, I've had more and more people make reference to what a "strong woman" I am and have been through most of my life, in order to get through the things I've experienced. I smile and say "Thank you," but on the inside I'm wondering just who the heck they're talking about, because it sure AIN'T me.

Granted, I've been through some rough spots in my 49 years....most of them of my own making...and I've always managed to make it through to the other side, and come out of it wiser and in a better place. But, contrary to popular belief, that's not been through strength, or my religious beliefs, or anything like that. The real explanation is much simpler, at least to me: crazy cockeyed optimism.

Yep, that's it, plain and simple. I get through the rough spots by keeping focused on the bigger picture. I've always believed that in that elusive "somewhere," there is a bigger, brighter, better life for me...and that I just have to keep looking till I find it. And now, at nearly 50, I've finally begun putting all the pieces into place, getting that life in order...and it's looking even better than I ever dreamed it would be. So, thank you to everyone who sees me as a strong woman...but forgive me when I laugh every time you say it, as I'll always just think of myself as the girl in the rose-colored glasses. :)

2 comments:

  1. I think strength comes in many packages and it's all about perspective.
    what seem see as barely scraping by, others see as strength and perseverance.
    what I see as giving up on trying to control, hubby sees as going with the flow.
    what you see as crazy cockeyed optimism, others see as strength :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...