Thursday, September 2, 2010

Forgiveness

"What is there that forgiveness cannot achieve?"--Vidura

I have to say, when I'm getting sent a message, I REALLY get sent a message!! Almost every quote I found to post on Facebook yesterday had to do with forgiveness and tolerance in some form or another. And then when I sat down to finish reading "Have A Little Faith," by Mitch Albom, I was struck by THIS passage:
And now the Reb was urging me not to wait.
"Mitch, it does no good to be angry or carry grudges."
He made a fist. "It churns you up inside. It does
you more harm than the object of your anger."
So let it go? I asked.
"Or don't let it get started in the first place, he said. "You
know what I found over the years? When I had a
disagreement with someone, and they came to talk to me,
I always began by saying 'I've thought about it. And in
some ways maybe you're right.
Now, I didn't always believe that. But it made things
easier. Right from the start, they relaxed. A
negotiation could take place. I took a volatile situation
and, what's the word...?"
Defused it?
"Defused it. We need to do that. Especially with family. You know,
in our tradition, we ask forgiveness from everyone--
even casual acquaintances. But with those we are
closest with--wives, children, parents--we too often
let things linger. Don't wait, Mitch. It's such a waste."
He told me a story. A man buried his wife. At the gravesite he stood
by the Reb, tears falling down his face.
"I loved her," he whispered.
The Reb nodded.
"I mean...I really loved her."
The man broke down.
"And...I almost told her once."
The Reb looked at me sadly.
"Nothing haunts like the things we don't say."

Yep, I get it...I really do. To all those friends and family members I've ever hurt, intentionally or unintentionally....I'm sorry. To all those friends and family members who have ever hurt me, intentionally or unintentionally....I forgive you. And to all of you....I LOVE YOU!!!!

3 comments:

  1. i forgive you mommy as long as you come visit us like ur supposed to things are going great rent is able to be paid with almost no help and save some towards my glasses yay mikey misses nana

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's blackmail, squirt...LOL...but if all goes well, we should be able to come down to see you in March when Amy has her spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol - love the blackmail, in a "it's really sweet" sort of way.
    and I love the message. forgiveness is key.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...