Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Thinking Out Loud

In the last few days, I've read and commented on several discussions of a religious and/or political nature. I usually try to steer clear of those, as I'm aware they can get heated, but these have all been started by people I consider good friends, so I presumed that things would stay on a more mature, adult level. Just goes to show you what I know!!!

I've seen name-calling of people involved in the discussion as well as of public figures...insults, disrespect, anger all run rampant. I stop enjoying drama in my life years ago, and I try to stay away from places where I see it starting. I don't approve of the sort of behavior I'm seeing, and I will work behind the scenes to try to mediate, to calm people down, to draw their attention to what they are doing, etc.--but I won't call them out in in public, as that's not what I see as the best way to handle the situation (although if it works for someone else, I won't think any less of them, for sure).

I love my friends, each and every one of them, and I'm glad that we don't always agree on everything we discuss...if we did, life would be pretty boring, and I wouldn't have the opportunity to learn from those who have different opinions from mine. But I also happen to believe that the best way to get people to LISTEN when you disagree is to be respectful, present facts...or present your opinions in a calm, cool, rational way....and then, in turn, listen to the other person's POV with the same respect you want them to give you.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you....timeless advice.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree. I recently had a discussion with a friend about this ... if I am trying to help someone understand my POV, I am not going to tell them they are stupid for not agreeing with me. what purpose will that serve? to ridicule or put someone down because their opinion doesn't match yours, only gives them more reason to disagree ... "why should I believe in that when people who do act like morons?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. EXACTLY! Glad to see someone understands what I was saying! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...